Friday, May 1, 2009

Pineapple Chicken





Pineapple Chicken
Serve hot over rice.

Ingredients (4 servings):
I make this with what I always have in my cupboards and fridge - some canned ingredients. But I included in parenthesis what fresh items can be used to make it extra fabulous!

1/2 sweet yellow onion chopped
1/2 green bellpepper chopped (use orange or yellow for added visual appeal)
1-2 lb chicken, chopped into small pieces
1 can pineapple chunks, drained (½ pineapple, cored & cubed thickly)
1 can stewed tomatoes chopped fine, reserve juice (1 large tomato, chopped)
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp powdered ginger (2 slices ginger)
1 Tbsp cooking oil
¼ cup katsup
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp chili paste (optional - I don't use it for the kids)
1 cup water (I sub tomato juices or chicken stock)
Salt to taste
Spring onion or coriander for garnish


Method:

1.
Heat oil in pan or wok, stir in onion & bellpepper. Stir fry on medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add garlic and chicken and stir fry until all sides are seared.
2.
Add in pineapple pieces and ginger.
3.
Add in sugar, ketchup and chili paste. Stir until chicken pieces are coated with sauce.
4.
Add in tomato and water(or other liquid), bring to boil then let it simmer with lid on for about 5 minutes.
5.
Add salt to taste, and let it simmer for another 5 minutes or until sauce is reduced slightly.
6.
Transfer to serving plate over hot rice, garnish if desired.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, I'm not sure why it blogger wouldn't let you upload photos. I just tried and it uploaded just fine. Maybe it was a temporary error?? I hope so. Would you be willing to try it again?

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete